Municipality of Manciano
Manciano is a town in the province of Grosseto, in southern Tuscany, on the border with the Lazio region.
Located in the Tuscan hinterland, but only 30 minutes drive from the Argentario sea, Manciano rises in the territory of the hills of the Fiora and Albegna rivers and borders the Tuscan municipalities of Semproniano, Sorano, Pitigliano, Capalbio, Orbetello, Scansano and Magliano in Tuscany, and with the Lazio municipalities of Montalto di Castro, Canino and Ischia di Castro.
The symbol of the Municipality of Manciano is a red Samnite shield with a golden lion depicted.
The history of Manciano begins in medieval times, when it was ruled by the Aldobrandeschi family, it is in fact in the Middle Ages that the Cassero, also known as Rocca Aldobrandesca, was built. Manciano is mentioned in an official document for the first time in 1188, the town was ceded to the Orsini di Sovana in 1272 and conquered, in 1300, by the Orvietani, to then pass to the Baschi di Montemerano family and then return to the Orsini di Pitigliano family. In 1416 the Municipality of Manciano was conquered by Siena, which remained in power until 1455, when the Orsini family returned to power. Starting from 1557, Manciano became permanently part of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
The municipality of Manciano is one of the largest in the province and has 7 hamlets: Montemerano, Poderi di Montemerano, Saturnia, Poggio Murella, San Martino sul Fiora, Poggio Capanne and Marsiliana.