THE VILLAGE OF MANCIANO
Manciano is a characteristic village of the Tuscan Maremma, located near the famous Terme di Saturnia, but a few kilometers from the sea of the Costa d’Argento, Monte Amiata and Tuscia.
The town offers a wonderful view over the whole of the Tuscan Maremma, ranging from the sea to the mountains, from the summit of the Amiata to Lake Bolsena, for this particularity, it has earned the nickname of “Maremma Spy”.
The Cassero and the panoramic tower are an unmissable stop, the tower offers the opportunity to admire the 360 ° panorama over the whole Maremma, up to the islands of the Tuscan Archipelago (Isola del Giglio and Isola di Montecristo) and, on particularly clear days , Corsica. The keep has medieval origins, it was born as the residence of the Aldobrandeschi family and today it is the official seat of the Municipality of Manciano.
The historic center of Mancianois an unmissable stop during a trip to Maremma, walking through the narrow alleys you will meet picturesque terraces full of flowers, arches and breathtaking panoramic views.
Of particular interest are its oldest buildings and monuments, the Church of San Leonardo, dedicated to the patron saint of Manciano, celebrated on November 6, the Church of the Santissima Annunziata, just outside the historic center, la Torre dell’Orologio, Fountain of Piazza Garibaldi, in liberty style, and the walls with access doors and ancient watchtowers.
WHAT TO SEE IN MANCIANO
Majestic and imposing, the village of Manciano is a small treasure trove of historic buildings to be discovered, its monuments, churches and ancient buildings are in fact a precious historical heritage, which tell the past of this Maremma village.
CASSERO, the Rocca di Manciano is its most representative monument, it is the first thing you see when arriving in Manciano, it rises in a dominant position with respect to the town, and is an attraction not to be missed. Of medieval origin, the fortress was built at the behest of the Aldobrandeschi, who made it their official residence. From the terrace of the Cassero, and from the high turret, you can admire the most beautiful panorama of the whole Tuscan Maremma, with a 360 ° view over the whole territory, passing from the Argentario sea, with the islands of the Archipelago Tuscan and, in the most fortunate newspapers, also Corsica, up to the Apennines, a breathtaking view!
PIAZZA GARIBALDI FOUNTAIN, at the foot of the Cassero, this fountain is a monument particularly loved by the locals. Its construction dates back to 1913, to celebrate the arrival of the aqueduct in the town. The fountain is built in Art Nouveau style, the project was assigned to the architect Vincenzo Rosignoli.
CHURCH OF SAN LEONARDO, is the main church of the village of Manciano, built in the first half of the fourteenth century in Romanesque-Gothic style, the church has undergone multiple restoration interventions that have changed its original appearance. On the facade there are two niches that house two statues, on the side of the building, the imposing bell tower rises. Inside, the church is divided into three naves, houses a baptismal font dating back to 1300 and a painting depicting San Leonardo, made by the famous local artist Paride Pascucci and dating back to 1894.
CINTA MURARIA, surrounds the entire ancient town of Manciano and is still in excellent condition today. Built in the 13th century by the Aldobrandeschi, the walls included numerous watchtowers. The defensive structure of Manciano was one of the best in the area and made the village one of the most protected in the area in the late medieval period. The ancient access gates still remain today, the most important of which is Porta Fiorella, at the foot of the Cassero.
MUSEUM OF PREHISTORY AND PROTOHISTORY OF VALLE DEL FIORA, centered on the history of the territory between the Paleolithic and the Bronze Age in the Fiora Valley area. It exhibits a collection of finds from the excavation campaigns carried out in the nearby Necropolis and Archaeological Areas. The Museum is very particular of its kind, it is in fact one of the few in Italy to be multimedia, in fact a tablet is provided at the entrance where, thanks to the presence of specific QR codes, you can view all the information.
where to eat, restaurants in manciano
After walking far and wide through the streets of the historic center of Manciano, why not treat yourself to a relaxing break in one of the typical restaurants of the village? The food and wine offer in Manciano is very wide, including pizzerias, restaurants and trattorias … you will be spoiled for choice! We recommend the best places in Manciano, for an unforgettable food and wine experience:
- SADUN RESTAURANT, housed in the ancient Sadun Palace, one of the oldest in the country, the restaurant offers typical local cuisine, elaborated and refined, revisited in a modern key. Via Marsala 29, Tel. +39 3926851592.
- TRATTORIA DA PAOLINO, in the heart of the historic center of Manciano, is one of the historic places in the town, it will not disappoint you! Via Marsala 41, Tel. +39 0564629388
- TRATTORIA IL RIFUGIO, a delightful family-run trattoria, with a panoramic terrace overlooking the countryside and the Argentario sea, traditional dishes. Via Trieste 9, Tel. +39 0564620029
- PIZZERIA OSEE, is certainly one of the most famous pizzerias in the area, with many awards for its pizza! Via Circonvallazione Nord 35, Tel. +39 0564628300
- LA FILANDA, elegant and refined restaurant with excellent dishes and an extraordinary selection of wines. Via Marsala 8, Tel. +39 0564625156
- IL MIRAVALLE RESTAURANT, if you are looking for authentic Maremma cuisine this is the restaurant for you, family-run. Via Gramsci 42, Tel. +39 0564620245
- MANCIANO 444, wine shop in the center, excellent food and wine proposal and excellent wine cellar. Via Marsala 128, Tel. +39 3466621236
- PIZZERIA DOPPIOZERO, another excellence of pizza, this place offers various types of dough and a small section of first courses. Via Circonvallazione Nord 8, Tel +39 0564620439
- LOCANDA IL PODERINO, just outside the village in a panoramic position, this historic inn in Manciano is ideal for those who want to discover the authentic Maremma cuisine. SR 74 Km 30.650, Tel. +39 0564625031
- PIZZERIA CORIMBO, cozy pizzeria in the center of Manciano. Via dell’Imposto 7, Tel. +39 0564629428
- LANTERNA BLU, a delightful trattoria at the entrance to the town, with an outdoor terrace. Via dell’Imposto 18.
- LA FORNERIA SPIGHE DI MAREMMA, restaurant / pizzeria with attached oven. Strada Provinciale Farnese. Tel. +39 0564620551
- TRATTORIA LA CAMPIGLIOLA, along the road that leads to Montalto, a family-run trattoria. Località La Campigliola 57. Tel. +39 0564620446
events in manciano
Manciano Street Music Festival
Appuntamento per il secondo fine settimana di Giugno con uno dei principali eventi che coinvolgono il borgo di Manciano.
Un intero weekend di musica e divertimento con band itineranti per le vie del centro.
Al festival partecipano band provenienti da ogni parte d’Italia e del Mondo, colorate, folli e talentuose, regalano al borgo toscano tanto divertimento, buona musica e un’occasione per stare insieme e festeggiare in allegria.
Tanti spettacoli itineranti ed un grande concerto la sera del Sabato. Non mancate!GO TO THE PAGE
Vi è mai capitato di incontrare Spiderman, Batman o Capidan Uncino per le vie del vostro paese? No?!? Allora cosa aspettate… venite a Manciano!
Per un fine settimana il borgo toscano si trasforma infatti nel magico mondo dei cartoni e dei manga, un vero paradiso per i più piccoli ma anche per tutti gli adulti appassionati di manga e fumetti!
Durante l’evento sono inoltre previsti incontri con i disegnatori, laboratori ed un grande spettacolo finale con musica, esibizioni e… tanto divertimento!GO TO THE PAGE
Palio delle Botti
Avvincente palio cittadino che vede affrontarsi i sei rioni di Manciano : Borgo, Cassero, Fonti, Imposto, Monumento e Mulinello in una gara all’ultimo secondo per accaparrarsi l’ambitissimo Palio!
Ogni anno, l’ultimo fine settimana di Agosto, i mancianesi sono chiamati a sostenere i ragazzi e le ragazze del proprio rione che si sfidano spingendo una pesante botte – 100kg – lungo un percorso attorno al Cassero.
Ma il Palio è molto di più, è divertimento, rivalità, e tanta musica, sono le botti dipinte, i concerti, e la magia di stare insieme!GO TO THE PAGE
Festa delle Cantine
Con questo evento si chiude l’estate mancianese in allegria!La Festa delle Cantine è l’evento storico di Manciano e sicuramente uno dei più attesi ed amati non solo dalla gente del posto ma anche dai tantissimi turisti che aspettano questo appuntamento per riscoprire il borgo assaporandone i prodotti più autentici.
Proprio ad uno dei prodotti tradizionali del borgo e del territorio maremmano è dedicato questo evento : il vino.
La festa si svolge il secondo fine settimana di Settembre, tra mercatini di artigianato, cantine aperte per le vie del centro storico, ottimi vini, piatti tradizionali e l’immancabile fiaccolata a cavallo!GO TO THE PAGE